Wednesday, December 22, 2010

don't eat yellow snow...

...unless it's yellow because you poured maple syrup into it!
We tried (and failed) to make La Tire, a french tradition from my husband's childhood.  He boiled some maple syrup (we didn't have a candy thermometer, so we used our meat one.....and didn't get it to the correct temp, obviously).  You're supposed to be able to make taffy with it....but we just got tasty yellow snow!  The kids enjoyed it anyways & we're hoping for another fresh snowfall so we can go and collect some more & try again....with a candy thermometer!

5 comments:

Knowly said...

I remember making/eating this in school (in NY) when I was a little girl. If my memory is correct it was delightful.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! We usually make snow cream. It is milk, vanilla extract and sugar. It is good.

Courtney said...

Never heard of this treat. Now, I kinda hope we get some snow to try it!

Anika said...

Oooo, so how did it taste??? I want to try...guess I just need some snow!

Buckeroomama said...

There is a southeast Asian dessert called ice kacang (pronounced ka-chang) that's basically shaved ice flavored/colored with cordials and fruit syrups. =)